Friday, February 15, 2013

The Warlock Is Now Into Leather

A number of years ago I got into Archery. 

Not for hunting but just for target shooting (okay maybe hunting orcs!).  It's something I've always wanted to do and so I finally got a nice traditional recurve bow and occasionally went out for some target practice.

Ever since I got the bow, I've wanted to create my own accessories ('cause that's what we do over here at the Homebrew!) and it turns out that would be in leather.

So this year I set out learning how to work with leather, tooling it, stitching it, dying it.  There's always a learning curve with a new medium and I struggled through that making plenty of mistakes - which I'm still making but learning from.  So I finally felt confident enough to work on my first custom project.  That turned out to be an archery armguard.

Here's the finished item:

And here it is on my skinny arm.
I was very happy with the way it turned out. A few rough spots in the tooling which I think I've worked through.  I'm working on a new design with straps and buckles as the ties are a little to hard to work with. 

As an aside, it's quite fun wearing this heavy leather.  It's surprisingly strong. Makes me want to move on to making some type of stylized leather armor.  Not that I'm influenced by D&D or anything!

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I like the pattern -- how's that done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I'm going to post a step by step of my next project which is the quiver.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome. Turned out much better than the first crossbow I forged.

    ReplyDelete