Friday, June 17, 2011

My First Comics...

Over at Steve Does Comics he posted about the first comic he remembers reading. Of course that got me thinking about the first comics that I had. I don't remember actually 'reading' them but I flipped through them constantly. This was back when we could buy comics from actual corner news-stands in Chicago for 20 cents! Either my mom or grandma would buy my brother and I a comic each. I was around 6 at the time and these first issues left quite an impression on me. I still have most of these comics to this day too. Ah, the memories they bring back....
Bat-man, Joker and a killer shark in a tank that Bat-man kills with his bare hands. Awesome! Nothing like the television show.
A little Romita Spider-man action with Medusa no less! The coolest thing about this issue is Norman Osbourn has a flashback pulling off Spidey's mask. I was like "WTF is that all about!!??" It took me 20 years to find out.
Typical crazy Superman storys. I was impressed by the art even back then.
A lesser hero but a fun comic with a fantastic cover. They don't make covers like this one any more.

My first introduction to Jack Kirby. Still one of my favorite comic covers of all time.

Another Spidey tale. I was starting to wonder what was up with the Osbourn's hair styles! And who the heck was this Gwen Stacy??

The most colorful array of heroes I ever laid eyes upon. The Vision became one of my favorites. Nobody knew who the heck I was talking about!

And finally....

This one appeared a bit later but I always consider it part of that original handful. Very thankful I had this one. Crazy flippin' stories and BWS art!

4 comments:

  1. My first books were a late 70's issues of Superman, Green Lantern, Justice League and Amazing Spider-man. I can't remember what order I got them in but I think JLA and GL were first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'd be great to see what issues they actually were, geek. You might be able to track them down here: http://www.coverbrowser.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Link.
    I'm pretty sure JLA 102 & JLA 143 were among my firsts. I just remember my mom using those to teach me to read. There are others I vaguely remember(GL, Spider-man and Superman issues) from around that time, but the two JLA's stick out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, they certainly don't make covers like they used to.

    ReplyDelete