Monday, May 10, 2010

Miniatures

After about 30 long years I have painted my first minis. Yes, that's right, thirty years! It is a really enjoyable process and I'm pretty happy with the results. I still have to figure out how to paint eyes without them looking psychotic!



On the left is a mini that my player Zach purchased for his character Skwanky Furrytoe the Halfling warrior. He picked it up over at Reaper Miniatures.

The one on the right is a good 'ol classic lead mini that I picked up at a yard sale with about 100 others for $5. I'll slowly be painting a selection of those as time permits. I'll post them here.

As for using minis in our games, well that's still up in the air. We haven't needed them but it's always fun to have a mini of the character you're playing.

Sorry about the crappy photo. I'll do better next time.

4 comments:

  1. Painting minis is fun and relaxing for me, but it's pretty hard to find the time these days.

    As far as using minis in games... pretty much all of my players love it, I find. Especially with the Hirst Arts and Dwarven Forge stuff. As a DM I could do with or without. Minis are definitely handy when there are a lot of players and combat gets complicated. Last year I bought a box of used pre-painted minis on eBay, and they have proven to be pretty useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny that the pewter Halfling from Reaper is almost the same size as the Grenadier mini? I have a bunch of old Grenadier, Heritage and Ral Partha figures as well as some newer Reaper figures and it seems that the more time goes by, the bigger and bigger they get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @limpey Yeah, I noticed that too. The halfling is even bigger than the dwarf! I've been trying to figure out what the scale is on these and can only guess that the Grenadier may be 25mm while Reaper is 28mm but I haven't been able to confirm that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chello!

    Bliss, you're spot on with that. For years I liked the 28mm that Reaper does, but, as I get older, the old 25mm are capturing my interest once again. One thing especially: they are usually in travelling poses (as opposed to action poses) and they almost all have adventuring gear (like rope or a backpack) that the newer ones miss sometimes.

    ReplyDelete