Friday, November 13, 2009

Fantasy Friday

Instead of just sticking with art drawing for Fantasy Fridays, I'm expanding it a bit to include other imagery to get your old school pulp fantasy juices flowing. This week is the classic Golden Voyage of Sinbad. It's got more pulp fantasy than you can shake a 10 foot pole at. An evil sorcerer whose use of the dark arts drains his life essence (played with great gusto by Tom Baker), a barbaric cult living in the ruins of a much older temple, dark caves and traps, the voluptuous slave girl played by Caroling Munro and some of Harryhausen's best creations. It's actually quite dark at times.

This is, by far, my favorite Sinbad movie though they all have their iconic horrors. If you haven't seen this movie in a while, revisit it. It's amazing how close to classic D&D this film actually is.



My Grandmother use to take my brother and I to see these films and it's something that I'm very grateful for. These brilliant fantasy films obviously left quite an impression on me which wasn't lost when I first saw the Homes Basic D&D box cover.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the old Harryhausen movies. Did you see the latest raping of childhood memories? They are redoing Clash of the Titans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just saw the preview for it this morning. I don't know what to think of it. I'm sure there'll be more action but less heart. CGI monsters have nothing on Harryhausen's animated goodness, though.

    ReplyDelete